Monday, May 28, 2012

Setting Foot in Africa!

We left Austin, TX yesterday afternoon and arrived safely in Accra, Ghana this evening around 8:30 PM after connecting fights in Chicago and London. Our team was met by a travel agency here in Ghana called HLG at the airport who took us to our hotel. There are 5 traveling members of the team, 3 engineers and 2 social work students, as well as a UT professor who serves as our technical advisor. Our whole team was reunited for the first time at the hotel, and we shared our first Ghanaian meal together. I ate tilapia and banku, a bland starchy ball of dough commonly found in West Africa. I think I'm going to become pretty familiar with banku and similar starchy dishes in the coming weeks. Aside from some aggressive baggage carriers at the airport looking for a tip, everyone has been warm and friendly. It's pretty late here and I need to get up early to drive North to Kumasi, so I will keep this post brief. I do not know yet what to anticipate for internet access over the next 4 weeks, but I will do my best to keep the blog updated. Its been a good start, and I am really excited to experience Africa over the coming weeks!


-Clint

No comments:

Post a Comment